Academic career summary
Norma Jacqueline Gregory was born in Nottingham in 1969. The daughter of early 1960s Jamaican migrants, Norma sought self-development by generating knowledge through her love of education, history, literature, the arts, media, theology and in particular, African history linked to the UK.
Norma currently works as a historian and within the heritage project management and media sector. She is director and founder of Nottingham News Centre (see www.nottinghamnewscentre.com) a heritage and community media organisation, established in 2013, researching diverse heritage news, providing heritage management support to various organisations and facilitating the production and dissemination of heritage educational resources.
Norma completed many years of mentoring and teaching employment in various schools and higher education institutions across London and Nottingham, which encouraged her to pursue her goals of personal and professional autonomy as an educator, author, speaker and media producer. She is an honoured recipient of an Alumni Laureate Award 2017 through the University of Nottingham.
With over twenty-five year’s experience in educational and media settings Norma says, “On a more personal note, in my early adult life, I found my formal, re-education to be my 'lifeline’ in both its metaphorical and literal sense. I started reading books earnestly and with passion took the steps towards personal renewal through further and then higher education. I have never looked back since then and now relish opportunities to progress and to support organisations and individuals through my work in media and the heritage sector."
- UCL Institute of Education, University of London (MA degree in Effective Learning / Pedagogy, 2001-2005)
- University of Nottingham (PGCE/GTP Certificate in Education, Secondary English, 2009-2010)
- St Mary’s University, Twickenham London (BA Hons. degree in English Literature/Language with Theology & Religious Studies, 1996-1999)
- Liverpool John Moores University (Post. Grad Certificate in Learning Mentoring, distance learning, 2004) Distinction.
- College of North East London (CONEL) Radio & Print Journalism (City & Guilds) gained in 1996 (awarded in 1997) Distinction.
Artistic / Curatorial summary
Royal College of Art, London (Curating Contemporary Art and Design: Theory and Practice) July 2019
Profile available at www.normagregory.com/profile